Thursday, October 3, 2019

Get everybody and their stuff together. (Intro)

Cowboy Bebop was an anime series of loosely connected episodes that focused on a group of main characters traveling the universe to make money. I Break Down is a series of loosely connected short stories inspired by each episode of Cowboy Bebop. This can range from a thematic element to a minor character to something far more obtuse. The goal is to understand the art of Cowboy Bebop by replicating its style in a unique and interesting way. That, and to improve my skills at writing fiction in third person.

In truth, I have no history with Cowboy Bebop the way I did Peter Parker or even Scott Free. I only actually watched Cowboy Bebop in its entirety shortly before I finished writing Fearful Symmetry, hence my vagueness when writing about Spider-Man’s love of the series. (Though there was one failed attempt back in high school that was thwarted by the series being removed from YouTube for legal reasons.) As such, this will not be a semi autobiographical project where I turn my depression into a form of literary criticism. But I hope it will be a form of literary criticism like any are blatantly riffing on other works of art is.

These short stories can be read in any order and the release order is truthfully arbitrary, if somewhat funny depending on how much you know about the series. Like Cowboy Bebop, there is no overarching storyline that ties it all together in a nice bow, but there will probably be connections of some sort. Whatever happens, happens, as they say.

Be Seeing You…

Support the blog on Patreon.

No comments: